Wednesday 24 April 2013

Evaluation 2: How does your media product represent particular social groups?




The images above are an example of how my magazine represents a particular social group. My original photographs show the social group that my media products represents because of the models/ musicians used within the images. The social group that my media product represents is Indie Rock, the target audience who follow the indie rock music scene and the representation that goes with that same genre, such as the clothing, festivals and gigs. In the case of my images the ways they show the social group is from the location, composition, props, instruments and key iconography shown within them. For example the variety of location shows many different gig venues, which is a main part of the Indie Rock scene. Many of the bands and musicians within the genre tend to go on tours around the country. The people who follow that Indie scene will usually attend some of the gigs and are widely interested in them, as some tickets can be quite cheap, they’re in a variety of locations and mainly there a lot of fun and you can meet new people into the same music as you are. The instruments used in the photos show my social group as basically all musicians within my chosen genre uses live instruments such as guitars, bass guitars and drum kits which I have tried to show within these photos. I have tried to show a range of age groups within the magazine, from the photos I used models from my own age group and also from an older age group. The Indie Rock genre has a wide age range across the musicians and listeners this is why I have also tried to show variety in age within the models. The colour scheme I have used represents the genre as red, orange, black and white are unusual colours to use in a magazine. I didn’t use a bright red, but a warm darker toned burgundy colour which represents the genre better. For example if I had used pink or bright blue it wouldn’t represent my genre at all. The colours would be too bright for my genre, as Indie Rock is quite a subtle genre which is the opposite of the pop genre.  The contents of the magazine includes popular well known bands within the Indie Rock genre, these elements of furniture clearly show who the magazine is for and who it is aimed and targeted at.  



No comments:

Post a Comment